Characteristics of the Ikura
- 4 – 4oz jars of superior ikura caviar
- Ikura Caviar extracted from Keta wild salmon
- Mild brine flavor and rich fresh oleogustus
- Raw: Naturally tangerine-orange color
- Supplies Vitamin A, Calcium, Phosphorus, Potassium and Magnesium
- Arrives frozen for convenient storage. Thaw under refrigeration for one day.
- Properly handled ikura caviar, once thawed, maintains its superior quality of delicate texture and succulent flavor for up to 10 days.
Details of Harvest and Seasonality
Suggested Serving & Handling
Remember to thaw ikura caviar at least one day prior to serving.
- Remove unopened jar of ikura caviar from freezer and store under refrigeration for 24 hours before serving.
- Store ikura caviar under refrigeration for up to 10 days.
- Keep ikura caviar chilled while serving using: 1.) caviar service bowl and ice, 2.) gel pack beneath plate or service dish, or 3.) two bowl system whereas caviar sits in top bowl and is placed over the second bowl containing just enough ice to keep ikura chilled.
- Ikura caviar can be served for up to 2 hours while properly handled and kept chilled. After 2 hours the ikura caviar roe eggs will begin to dehydrate if left out in open air. This effect will change the silky texture and pleasing pallet sensation.
- Glass bowls and utensils are best suited for serving ikura caviar. Glass is chemically inactive or inert thus lends no taste or residue to ikura caviar. Glass is available in a wide variety of styles and colors. Otolith’s Ikura Caviar is packaged in 4 oz glass jars.
Amanda’s Serving Suggestions
The following recipe suggestions required thawed and ready to eat Ikura Caviar.
Recipe: Ikura Caviar with Crostini:
- Crostini Ingredients: 1 baguette, 1/2 stick of unsalted butter [room temp] or alternate saturated fat oil such as walnut or avocado.
- Time: 15 minutes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- To Make Crostini: Using a bread knife, slice the baguette into 1/4 inch or less rounds. Butter lightly each bread slice on one side then place them buttered side up on a baking sheet closely together without over lapping. Bake buttered or oiled bread rounds at 350 degrees F for 7-8 minutes until just golden not browned. They will still taste good browned but they will be extra crunchy and distract from the pleasant soft texture of Ikura Caviar.
- Cool crostini on a wire baking rack for 7 minutes before serving.
- Serve chilled ikura caviar using one of the methods in Suggested Serving and Handling. Serve crostini in a long plate alongside ikura caviar.
Spicy and Tangy sauce for Ikura Caviar with Crostini Recipe
- Ingredients: 8 oz of either fresh sour cream or creme fraiche, small piece of raw horseradish – peeled & finely grated, and small piece of turmeric root-peeled & finely grated.
- Combine: Sour cream or creme fraiche with 1 tsp of peeled and grated turmeric root and 1 Tbs of peeled and grated horseradish.
- Mix well, divide into two 8 oz portions and chill before serving.
- Serve 8oz of Tangy Spicy Sauce in the same manner as the ikura caviar using one of the methods in Suggested Serving and Handling.
- Use 4oz of ikura caviar and 8 oz of sauce for each 16 oz baguette.
- Substitute 4 oz farmers’ cheese and 4 oz sour cream for creme fraiche. Whip farmers’ cheese and sour cream together with electric mixer to achieve desired softness before serving.
- Omit turmeric and add a finely chopped fresh herb to sauce for added color and to reflect your personal taste; choices include: chives, sorrel, thyme, chevril, dill, or finely grated fresh garlic.
- Substitute dried turmeric powder for fresh grated turmeric root. Reduce measure to 1/4 tsp when using powder.
- Substitute fresh smashed avocado for Tangy and Spicy Sauce. Remember to add lemon juice to smashed avocado to help reduce oxidation while serving. Don’t fret about oxidation because, Ikura and avocado spread does not actually last long enough after its served for this to be a huge issue regarding presentation. Chill avocado spread the same as sauce or caviar.